The Finance Department directly touches every County office, employees, and activity. The department is managed by the Finance Director, who is appointed by the Board of Supervisors. The Finance Director directs the accountant, payroll clerk, accounts receivable, accounts payable and receiving clerk.
One of the Finance Director’s biggest jobs each year starts as most residents are going on their summer vacation. The Finance Director, along with the County Administrator, is responsible for drafting and developing the County’s operating budget for the next fiscal year during June - August. This budget must be approved by the Board of Supervisors by mid-September.
The Finance Dept. is also responsible for:
- Monitoring all expenditures to maintain budgetary compliance for all departments and availability of funds.
- Managing cash flow including transfer of funds.
- Analyzing subsidiary ledgers on a regular basis.
- Ensuring proper recording and authorization of all transactions.
- Investigating all irregularities in financial records.